Today I have a super charming and inspirational card spotlighting the Blending Brush Technique using the Lighting the Way Bundle & the Small Blending Brushes.
Welcome! Thanks for visiting Theresa’s Treasures Paper Crafts! I am Theresa and I am a Stampin’ Up! Demonstrator in Arizona, USA. Today is the monthly Inspirations in Ink Blog Hop! I am excited to be hopping with awesome demonstrators from around the world. Be sure to check out everyone’s projects using different Techniques.
The Lighting the Way Bundle and Small Blending Brushes I am using today are in 2023 Jan-April Mini Catalog. You may order what you need from my Online Store HERE.
- Pumpkin Pie card stock (cs) card base: 4 1/4″ x 11″ scored at 5 1/2″ (10.4cm x 29.5cm scored at 14.7cm)
- Basic Black cs: two at 4″ x 5 1/4″ (10.1cm x 14.2cm) and 2″ x 4″
(5cm x 10cm)
- Basic White cs: two at 4″ x 5 1/4″ (10.1cm x 14.2cm) and 1 1/2″ x
2 1/2″ (3.8cm x 6.4cm)
- Silver Foil cs: 2″ x 3 1/2″ (5cm x 9cm)
- Real Red cs: 2 1/2″ x 3 1/4″ (6.3cm x 8.2cm)
- Mango Melody cs: 1″ x 3″ (2.5cm x 7.5cm)
- Lighting the Way Bundle
- Deckled Rectangle Dies
- Layering Circles Dies
- Ink: So Saffron, Daffodil Delight, Mango Melody, Starry Sky, Orchid Oasis & Night of Navy
- 4 Small Blending Brushes
- Black Stampin’ Dimensionals Combo Pack
- Stampin’ Dimensionals
- Multipurpose Liquid Glue
- Rhinestone Basic Jewels
- Wink of Stella
- Stampin’ Cut & Emboss Machine
- scrap copy paper
- Full Stick Sticky Notes (not sold by Stampin’ Up!)
Most important tip: Getting a nice smooth blend takes practice.
- Use the largest Deckled Rectangle Die to cut a rectangle from the each of the larger Basic White cs. One will be the card front & one will be the inside.
- Use the scrap copy paper under the card front.
- Die cut the lantern from the Real Red cs.
- Lay the Real Red cs lantern on the card front so that it is about 3/4 inch (2cm) from the bottom edge & from the left edge. Make a very light pencil mark to delineate the inside “cage” around the light.
Using the Small Blending Brushes
- The Small Blending Brushes make it is easier to put color in a more precise location.
- Start with the So Saffron Ink Pad & a Blending Brush.
- Tip: Hold the brush by the end away from the brush to help in applying a light pressure to the ink pad.
- Move the brush over the So Saffron Ink Pad in a gentle circular motion to apply ink evenly to the brush.
- Tip: Tap & swirl to remove extra ink. Tap the brush on a scrap paper. Make a few circles (swirl) on the scrap paper before applying the brush & ink to your project.
- Apply a light layer of the So Saffron Ink inside the pencil marks. The color should be barely noticeable, soft & smooth.
- Use the smallest smooth edge circle die & cut two layers of the Full Stick Sticky Note.
- Apply the top Sticky Note circle to the area inside the pencil marks over the So Saffron Ink. Erase the pencil marks.
- Use the same brush & the Daffodil Delight Ink Pad. Apply ink to the brush. Tap & swirl on the scrap copy paper first. Then apply the brush to the area around the Sticky Note in a small circles going around the perimeter of the Sticky Note.
- Tip: Start light & go slow. You can add more ink, but if it is too dark you’re stuck with it.
- You may need 3-4 layers of the Daffodil Delight Ink to get a dark color that blends and is smooth.
- Tip: Swirl the Small Blending Brush on the copy paper in a circular motion until the ink comes off. Now use the Mango Melody Ink Pad and apply a slightly darker ring around the very edge of the Daffodil Delight layer. Start light & repeat until you like the effect.
Blending in the Night Sky
- Use the Starry Sky Ink Pad and a new Small Blending Brush. Tap off ink on the copy paper after each application of ink to the brush. Darker ink colors are more challenging to get smooth.
- Apply ink to the 4 corners of the card front. It will be very light at first. You will need about 8-10 layers of color to get it as dark as I did.
- Tip: Leave a white ring between the Mango Melody and the Starry Sky layers.
- Blend the Starry Sky layer up to the white ring using the Orchid Oasis Ink and a new Small Blending Brush. Start blending on top of the Starry Sky layer, and move in small circles with light pressure towards the Mango Melody.
- Tip: Do not allow the Orchid Oasis layer to blend with the Mango Melody layer. You will get a muddy green color. (Ask me how I know!)
- Finish with a new Small Blending Brush & the Night of Navy Ink Pad. Apply a little color to the corners and border of the card front.
Inside of the card
- Blend some Mango Melody Ink on the lower right-hand corner of the Basic White cs Deckled Rectangle for the inside of the card.
- Blend in some Starry Sky Ink from outside the corner moving toward the Mango Melody. Try not to overlap the 2 colors.
- Diecut a large firefly from the Basic Black cs and the Mango Melody cs.
- Adhere the pieces together with the Multipurpose Liquid Glue.
- Adhere flat to the lower right-hand corner.
- Adhere the inside card piece to the Basic Black cs layer.
- Adhere to the inside panel of the Pumpkin Pie cs card base.
- Remove the Sticky Note circle from the center of the “light”.
- Stamp off in Pumpkin Pie Ink with the larger circular stamp in the Lighting the Way cling stamp set. Stamp the smaller circle with Pumpkin Pie Ink at full strength.
- Adhere the Silver Foil portions of the lantern to the Real Red lantern. The Real Red cs lantern is the base. Use Stampin’ Dimensionals to adhere the lantern to the card front over the light as shown.
- Die cut the small fireflies from the Basic Black cs & the Mango Melody cs.
- Trim the Mango Melody cs firefly and apply the abdomen to the Basic Black cs firefly.
- Use Mini Black Stampin’ Dimensionals to adhere the small fireflies around the light.
- Adhere the card front to the remaining Basic Black cs.
- Now adhere the entire piece to the front panel of the Pumpkin Pie cs card base.
- Stamp the sentiment onto the smaller Basic White cs in Starry Sky Ink. Use the Deckled Rectangle Dies to cut it out. You will need to do some partial die cutting to make the sentiment the correct size.
- Use Stampin’ Dimensionals to adhere the sentiment.
- Add Wink of Stella to the wings of the fireflies on the outside & inside of the card.
- Add the small Rhinestone Basic Jewels like stars in the sky.
Thank you so much for visiting today! Please visit all the blogs in this hop. You will see all the fun and inspiring projects made by the Inspirations In Ink demonstrators. You are currently visiting Theresa McEntee-USA creator of Theresa’s Treasures Paper Crafts.
Theresa McEntee – USA
Robbie Rubala – USA
Vicky Wright – Australia
Christy Gridley – USA
Deirdre Croal – USA
Julie Golding Page – Canada
Karen Beck – Canada
Rebecca Nutley – Australia
Clickable Supply List
Have a most wonderful and creative day!
Thinking of adding creativity to your life? Try a monthly paper crafting kit! The Paper Pumpkin Monthly Subscription delivers a kit with everything you need to make a project-right to your door! Sign up for a Pre-paid Paper Pumpkin Subscription HERE.
9 thoughts on “Inspirations in Ink March 2023- Blending Brush Technique with Lighting the Way Bundle-Inspirational Card”
The blending is a little more work, but the effects are absolutely fantastic. Wow
Thank you Julie.
This is very beautiful, I love the blending, it is very effective with this stamp set.
Fantastic Card Theresa!! Love the blending brushes!😊